1. Altruism. We share to bring valuable and entertaining content to others. We think about what our friends want to know, and try to help them out.
2. Self-definition. We share to define ourselves to others. Perhaps this notion is better phrased as, “you are what you share.” People consciously shape their online persona by the types of things they share.
3. Empathy. We share to strengthen and nourish our relationships. Sharing shows someone else we’re thinking about them and we care.
4. Connectedness. We share to get credit and feedback for being a good sharer, to feel valuable in the eyes of others.
5. Evangelism. We share to spread the word about a cause or brand we believe in.